It’s getting close to the time when winter starts turning to spring. The motorcycles will be back on the road. Sometimes riders rush the season by driving in conditions that are less than ideal.
The results are sometimes tragic. There are many ways to say safe on your ride.
Think of all the motorcycle movies through the decades. Many of them are classics like Easy Rider, Born to Ride, Lords of the Flatbush, and The Wild One, just to name a few. If you notice, most of the riders in these flicks are not wearing helmets. They look really cool right? Only in the movies, unfortunately.
The Tragic Facts in Indiana
With more and more people riding motorcycles each year, the number of motorcycle accidents are up. In 2012 (the latest year in which complete statistics are available), there were 2935 crashes, compared to 2850 the year before.
The number of Indiana people who have been killed by motorcycle and moped accidents was up to 152 in 2012, compared to 118 in 2011. This is the largest number of fatalities in almost 40 years.
And About Those Helmets
Many of the cyclists involved in these accidents were not wearing one. The Indiana criminal justice Institute says wearing helmets reduces fatality rates by more than 30 percent.
Three Common Reasons for Injuries
- You guessed it. Not wearing a helmet. Wear one and and provide another for your passenger. It’s your best protection.
- Drivers who are impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Finally, about half of the fatalities were drivers who were not even legally allowed to drive.
Too many accidents and fatalities are caused by the negligence of another driver who collides with a motorcycle. This is where Tauber Law can help.
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, you may have suffered serious injuries. Because motorcycles offer little protection, a rider can incur numerous physical injuries to all parts of the body, including broken bones, amputations, severe skin abrasions, brain and spinal injuries, and even death.
A motorcycle accident lawsuit can be complex and requires an experienced personal injury attorney. Tauber Law Offices has years of experience in representing bikers and the unique difficulties that these cases can present.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, immediately record vital information. If you are not able, ask a family member or friend.
- Take pictures of your injuries.
- Take pictures of and keep your helmet and motorcycle gear.
- Take pictures of the accident scene – road shot, skid marks, broken glass, various angles, including close-ups.
- Do not fix your motorcycle right away.
- Most importantly, DO NOT settle with the other driver’s insurance company – especially if he or she appears to be at fault.
Tauber Law can help you obtain the maximum amount available by law in Indiana for:
- Damage to your motorcycle and gear
- Lost income and potential future income
- Pain and suffering
Tauber Law Can Help Ease Your Pain
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident that you believe was caused by negligence on the part of another driver, call us. Or contact us here. We will carefully assess your case and aggressively go after the compensation you deserve.
Tauber Law Offices is concerned about your safety and your welfare. And if the unimaginable happens to you or a loved one, we are there for you from beginning to end.
Treating you like family because we are one. We’re Tauber Law.