Schererville Divorce Lawyers
Answering Your Complex Divorce Questions
Going through a divorce—or even thinking about doing so—can be an extremely stressful and emotional time in one’s life. At Tauber Law Offices, we know that dissolution cases require special care and attention because, often, there is a lot at stake. Whether you and your partner are separating amicably, or you are in the midst of a fierce custody battle, our Schererville divorce lawyers, led by Attorney Tara Tauber, are here to provide the guidance, support, and representation you deserve.
Indiana Divorce Law
Requirements for filing for a divorce in Indiana include:
- To be eligible to file for divorce in the state, either you or your spouse must have lived in Indiana for a minimum of six months and resided in the county where you’re filing the complaint for a minimum of three months.
- Indiana is a no-fault divorce state, so you do not need to have “grounds” or a legal reason to file.
- You must serve your spouse with the papers or send them to their attorney via certified mail, the local Sherriff’s office, or a private process service company.
- There is a 60-day waiting period before the court grants you a final decree which will end your marriage.
- You must have created a pre-nuptial agreement prior to your marriage to ensure your property is kept separate during the divorce.
Common Questions About Divorce
There are many questions that a person might have, such as:
- Who will get custody of the children?
- What will the visitation/parenting time arrangements be?
- What will happen to the house?
- How will our debts be paid?
- Will I receive child support or have to pay it?
- How will our assets be divided?
- How long will it take?
- Who will pay the bills during the divorce?
- What is the difference between a divorce and a legal separation?
Our legal team will patiently and honestly answer any question you have to make sure you are at ease and confident about the dissolution process. We offer consultations to all potential clients to discuss the details of your specific case.
Benefit From Our Experience
We have the experience and knowledge to handle these cases skillfully so that your rights and assets are protected. Whether your dissolution involves large assets with business interests or contentious custody battles, or even if both parties agree on all issues, Tauber Law has the answers and the personal attention you seek during this difficult time.