Schererville Car Accident Lawyers
Protecting Your Right to Fair Compensation & Care
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash in Northwest Indiana? Tauber Law Offices is a family owned and operated firm dedicated to helping injured clients in the Schererville area receive fair and just compensation following a serious accident. Our car accident attorneys will use their experience and skills to help you secure the compensation you need to pay off your medical treatment, repair or replace your vehicle, and make the best possible recovery.
Contact us today to get started with a free and confidential case evaluation to determine whether you have a case.
When To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
As a general guideline, it’s best to contact a lawyer as soon as you can after suffering injuries in a car accident. There are a couple reasons for this, the first being the statute of limitations which is a law which that limits how long injury victims have to file a personal injury claim. According to the Indiana Code section 34-11-2-4 the state of Indiana has a two-year timeline.
This means you have two years from the date your car accident occurred to file your claim, or you will most likely be unable to do so. There are some exceptions to this law that can change your filing time, so it’s important to speak to an attorney about the specifics of your case.
Beyond the statute of limitations, an attorney can also help you navigate the entire claims progress, investigate your accident to determine who is liable and gather evidence to help support your case. Call today to talk to a member of our firm during a free consultation and learn more about your rights and options.
Indiana Car Crash Data
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the cost of medical care and lost work productivity associated with motor vehicle injuries over a one-year period in Indiana was $1.22 billion.
That same year, 2018, more than 830 people in Indiana were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes. The vast majority of these deaths (74%) involved occupants of traditional motor vehicles like cars and vans. Motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle accident deaths combined made the remaining 26% of fatalities.
Common Car Accident Causes
Car accidents leading to injury and death are caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Driver impairment due to fatigue, alcohol, and/or drugs
- Driver distraction, such as talking on a cell phone or texting while driving
- Mechanical failures, such as brake trouble or tires blowing out
- Road conditions, such as potholes and slippery pavement due to inclement weather
- Speeding and other forms of reckless driving
What to Do After a Car Accident
Indiana is an at-fault state, which means that when a motorist experiences losses due to a car accident they did not cause, they can seek compensation from the liable driver’s insurance policy first. However, that same insurance company is out to protect their client, meaning they will start to build a case against you right away. This is done in the hopes that they can get away will offering you less compensation than you actually deserve in order to protect their bottom line.
To best protect yourself after a crash, remain on the scene of the accident long enough to take as many pictures of the crash scene as possible. Photography any property damage, injuries, tire skid marks, and anything else you think may be relevant. Also, collect the at fault driver’s insurance information, contact details, and license plate number.
Other important things to keep in mind after a crash include:
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. Not only can this save your life (especially because car accident injuries often take a few hours or days to show themselves), but it can also bolster your claim.
- DO NOT sign the first settlement offer you receive from the insurance company. They will almost definitely try to get you to accept a much lower amount than what you deserve—and once you sign something, you can’t file a claim for more compensation later, even if you need it.
- Before talking to any insurance companies, talk to our lawyers. Our legal team is available to provide free counsel and no obligation to you and we never charge our clients anything unless we win their case. We are here for you from start to finish, unlike the insurance companies.
What are Some Common Car Accident Injuries?
Being in a car accident is already a stressful event. But even small accidents can result in injuries to the drivers and/or their passengers. Here are some common injuries those involved in a car accident might experience:
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones
- Back or spinal injuries
Contact Us Now for the Representation You Deserve
Since 2012, Tauber Law Offices has represented car accident victims throughout the Schererville community. We understand what it takes to collect evidence that will support your case, calculate the exact amount of damages you need to make your best recovery, and stand up for your rights in negotiations and in court.
We will help you secure compensation for your:
- Accident-related medical expenses
- Lost wages from time off work
- Pain and suffering
- Vehicle repair or replacement
- And more
Call (219) 247-6790 or contact our firm online to schedule your free, no obligation legal consultation today.